Monday, March 8, 2010

The Snow Child

After reading the story for the first time I was left stumped, unaware of what to think about it. Generally the story seemed pointless and crude. However, after thinking more on the story and having a group discussion I feel that I understand my own interpretation of the story much better.
Personally I think that the girl perhaps represented everything that the wife didn’t want to be anymore or perhaps everything that the husband wanted his wife to be. It’s almost as though it could have been created to be a very brief summary of the Count and Countesses relationship. He wanted her to be something she wasn’t and in the end she wanted to change.
He desired the girl, therefore she was created. The Countess desired to kill the girl and that’s why the rose bush appeared.
The final line of the story, the wife saying ‘It bites!’ (Meaning the rose), could possibly mean ‘be careful what you wish for’. I think this because the Count and Countess both obtained what they desired but possibly at a cost.
At the end of it all, it’s as though the wife has become what she used to be, the girls death symbolizing the death of everything fake that she or her husband had wanted the Countess to become and now the husband can let go of his ‘farfetched’ desires and love his wife for what she really is, the stripped woman he felt sorry for previously in the book.

3 comments:

  1. The "Be careful what you wish for" interperatation makes alot of sense... i still dont quite get some parts of the story but we seem to be on the same page so panic over lol x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you see it as male fantasy. Is it about male powerr too or that just a simplistic reading?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete