One of the most obvious gothic elements throughout Macbeth is the strong sense of death. The surroundings of the play are very dark and dreary which is a classic way of portraying that something bad is going to happen.
I.1
Introduction. Witches set the scene with a song.
I.2
Soldiers return injured from war and tell us of Macbeth and Banquo and their heroic deeds.
I.3
Witches tell Macbeth that they have forseen his future and him as king. Part of their premonition comes true as Macbeth is made Thane of Cawdor.
I.4
Macbeth meets the King who congratulates him on his impressive work on the battle field.
I.5
Lady Macbeth reads a letter that Macbeth has sent about the witches and their proficies. She has a monologue about how she wishes to have more power like the men are recognised to have 'unsex me here'. She plots on how they shall kill King Duncan.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Fine as a summary. Now pick out key images. What themes are developing? Can you see the light and dark motifs? make a note of them.
ReplyDelete